The School of Nursing is a vital component of Riverside City College (RCC) and embraces the mission, values, and traditions of both the RCC District and the College. The School of Nursing prepares quality nursing healthcare providers using a student- centered approach through teaching excellence in an environment conducive to learning. The Vocational Nursing (VN) program prepares individuals to provide general nursing care under the direction of a registered nurse, physician or dentist, including the collaboration with other professionals and consumers in the delivery of holistic healthcare.
Vocational Nursing Student Achievement Data
The Vocational Nursing NCLEX-PN pass rates and program completion data is reported in the VN Program Student Achievement Data.
Program Outcome 1: The program demonstrates evidence of graduates’ achievement on the licensure examination.
Expected Level of Achievement: NCLEX-PN pass rates will be at least 80% for all first-time test takers during the same 12-month period.
|2018||97% (n = 32)|
|2019||95% (n = 48)|
|2020||94% (n = 47)|
Program Outcome 2: The program demonstrates evidence of students’ achievement in completing the nursing program.
Expected Level of Achievement: On-time program completion will be 80% or greater.
|YEAR||% OF STUDENTS|
|2018-2019||81% (n = 58)|
|2019-2020||80% (n = 60)|
|2020-2021||80% (n = 60)|
Program Outcome 3: The program demonstrates evidence of graduates’ achievement in job placement.
Expected Level of Achievement: 90% of graduates will be employed as a registered nurse within one-year of graduation.
|YEAR||Job Placement Rate||Academic Progression Rate*|
|2020||56% (n = 41)||41% (n = 41)|
|2021||75% (n = 48)||75% (n = 48)|
*Students who advance their education and defer their employment following graduation
Students interested in the Vocational Nursing program have two different academic pathways(CERTIFICATE, ASSOCIATE DEGREE) available depending on the eligibility of the applicant.
For questions regarding program requirements, enrollment, and application processes, please visit the Health-Related Sciences Engagement Center to find a listing of Pre-Nursing Workshops and to connect with our Educational Advisor and Nursing Enrollment & Evaluation Specialist.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Licensed Vocational Nursing Program, the graduate will:
- Provide quality, safe, patient-centered basic nursing care using evidence-based practices, as a competent, entry-level vocational nurse, under the direct supervision of a licensed physician or registered nurse.
- Function as a competent entry-level, vocational nurse accepting accountability and responsibility for the ethical and legal principles defined in the vocational nursing code of ethics and practice act.
- Function as a leader, assimilating leadership principles in a variety of health care settings for diverse patient populations as a competent, entry-level vocational nurse.
- Exemplify caring through behaviors that support relationship-centered care and demonstrate respect and sensitivity to others as a competent, entry-level vocational nurse.
- Assimilate collaborative relationships through communication with the interprofessional health care team for the purpose of providing and improving patient outcomes as a competent, entry-level vocational nurse.
- Assimilate critical thinking principles using clinical reasoning to make sound clinical judgments necessary for providing safe patient care and contributing to quality improvement as a competent, entry-level vocational nurse.
- Integrate nursing informatics and technology to effectively communicate, enhance knowledge, manage and analyze data, prevent errors, and support decision-making as a competent, entry-level vocational nurse.
VN Certificate Pathway
*Students who are planning to continue their education may take BIO 50A/50B, which applies to the ADN (RN) Requirements.
VN Associates Degree Pathway
The Associate of Science Degree in Vocational Nursing will be awarded upon completion of the degree requirements, including general education and other graduation requirements as described in the college catalog.
|HIS-6/6H or HIS-7/7H or POL-1/1H||3|
|HUM-10/10H or PHI-10/10H or THE-3||3|
|MAT-12/12H or PSY/SOC-48||4 or 3|
|COM -1/1H or COM-9/9H||3|
Potential Careers in
- Acute Care Facilities
- Ambulatory Care Clinics
- Long-term Care/Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Hospice Care
- Home Health
- Private Medical Practices