The program focuses on caring for individual's hygiene needs, activities of daily living, and other basic healthcare needs in the home, acute, and long-term care settings. Upon completion of the nursing assistant program, the graduate is eligible to apply for and take the Nurse Assistant Certification Exam to become a Certified Nursing Assistant in the State of California.
For questions regarding program requirements, enrollment, and application processes,
please visit the Health-Related Sciences Engagement Center to find a listing of Pre-Nursing Workshops and to connect with our Educational Advisor
and Nursing Enrollment & Evaluation Specialist.
Apply for Nursing Assistant Program
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Classify the basic human needs according to Maslow’s hierarchy and apply the knowledge of these needs to the care of Level I patients (Middle, Older, and Very Old Adults).
- Describe the following eleven developmental psychosocial stages in the life cycle, according to Erikson/Newman and Newman.
- Assess the position of the patient from maximum health to death, according to the health-illness continuum.
- Demonstrate beginning critical thinking in using the nursing process with Level I patients’ chronic health problems in various settings.
- Identify the three roles of the Associate Degree Nurse inherent within the outcome objectives of the nursing program.
- Demonstrate math/medication competency in calculations and drug dosages.
- Identify the competencies needed for a new graduate nurse in the current healthcare delivery system.
- Refer to the School of Nursing Associate Degree Nursing Program Level Objectives.
|NNA-80A (optional lab course, not required)||0.5|
|NNA-80B (optional lab course, not required)||1|
|Total||6 or 7.5|
Upon completion of the Nursing Assistant Program students are eligible to enroll in Acute Care Nursing Assistant (NNA-81) and Home Health Aide (NNA-86)
Potential Careers in
- Acute Care Facilities
- Long-term Care/Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Home Care