Baking and Pastry (R)
The Baking & Pastry Program at Riverside City College focuses on professional learning objectives through our Career & Technical Education division. As the program unfolds, students within our community and surrounding areas, will learn the fundamentals of baking and pastry arts, from yeast dough formulation to cakes and pastries from around the globe. Additionally, students will learn the proper food safety and sanitation practices as set forth by industry benchmarks. This knowledge is captured through traditional styles of learning, as well as a hands on approach where students can grasp a better understanding of the material. As they advance through the program, students continue representing their personal styles and cultural backgrounds through their plated desserts, to advanced techniques such as chocolate and sugar artistry. Students are encouraged through critical thinking, on how baking ingredients function, and the roles they contribute throughout the baking processes. To further enhance their knowledge and outreach within the community, students will need to communicate and collaborate with industry partners and leaders, to solidify their learnings
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Define and conduct food safety sanitation practices and apply them in a baking laboratory setting.
- Understand the elements of baking in a professional bakeshop, while using professional tools and equipment.
- Understand the components of making and plating a dessert, including making all of the components from scratch.
- Prepare a basic element such as Prepare basic elements such as pâte à choux, pastry cream, and laminated doughs
- Understand the skillsets required for advanced pastry techniques, such as chocolate, sugar artistry, and pastillage.
|Required Courses (25 units)||Units|
|CUL-50||ServSafe Food Safety||2|
|CUL-46||Fundamentals of Baking & Pastry||8.5|
|CUL-47||Advanced Baking & Pastry||8.5|
|MAG-56||Human Relations Management||3|
Associate of Science Degree
The Associate of Science Degree in Baking & Pastry Arts will be awarded upon completion of the degree requirements, including general education and other graduation requirements as described in the college catalog.