Math Skills for the Professional Baker (R)
An expansive perspective of math skills necessary for any professional within the baking industry. These skills introduce the adult learner on how to use a digital scale using both US and metric measurements, understand the mathematical computations with recipe conversions, and providing the tools necessary for costing out recipes.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Convert basic fractions to decimals, and decimals to fractions.
- Understand how to use a digital scale, and process the results as a recipe measurement.
- Understand basic cost control terminology and calculations.
- Understand Baker’s Percentages as they are written on recipes.
- Using Baker’s Percentages to calculate new recipe yields based on actual quantities needed.
- Understand the basic components and importance of a standardized recipe.
- Understand what SPECS sheets are, and how they affect menu pricing
- Understand how to calculate a menu price after costing out a recipe from start to completion.
|Required Courses (48 hours)||Hours|
|CUL-875||Introduction to Math for Baking Professionals||12|
|CUL-876||Introduction to Cost Control for Professional Bakers||12|
|CUL-877||Baker’s Percentages and Recipe Conversion||12|
|CUL-878||Cost Control for Baking & Pastry||12|