Graphic Design and Digital Media (R)
This program prepares students for a wide variety of careers in graphic design and digital media production. This includes instruction in graphic design, typography, digital illustration, photo manipulation, web design, animation, motion graphics, advertising design, entertainment graphics, and production art, using the latest equipment and software available. Classes are structured to give strong academic and hands-on experience for entry into the graphic design and digital media industry.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate graphic design and layout principles consistent with the principles and elements of design.
- Analyze and explain methods and techniques to design aesthetically pleasing and effective typographic communication.
- Understand the technical differences and advantages of raster-based and vector-based images for various design outputs and digital applications.
- Create effective motion graphics designs and multimedia animations for various marketing, advertising and promotional narratives.
- Understand the technical differences and advantages of various digital, video and audio file formats in the context of graphic design and digital media.
|Required Courses (33 units)||Units|
|ADM-1||Introduction to Applied Digital Media||3|
|ADM-62||Typography and Graphic Design||3|
|ADM-63A||Design for Print Publication||3|
|ADM-63B||Design for Electronic Publication||3|
|ADM-70||Project Production and Portfolio||3|
|ADM-71A||Adobe Photoshop for Image Manipulation||3|
|ADM-71B||Adobe Photoshop, Advanced||3|
|ADM-77A||Adobe Illustrator for Graphic Art||3|
|ADM-77B||Adobe Illustrator, Advanced||3|
|Electives||Select 6 units from one emphasis||6|
|Digital Media and Production Emphasis (6 units)||Units|
|FTV-64A||Beginning Digital Editing Principles and Techniques||3|
|PHO-20||Introduction to Digital Photography||3|
|Motion Graphics Emphasis (6 units)||Units|
|ADM-69||Motion Graphics and Special Effects with After Effects||3|
|Digital Animation Emphasis (6 units)||Units|
|ADM-68A||3D Animation with Maya I||3|
|ADM-68B||3D Animation with Maya II||3|
|Digital Illustration Emphasis (6 units)||Units|
|ART-36A||Computer Art- Introduction||3|
|Web Design Emphasis (6 units)||Units|
|ADM-74B||Web Design with Dreamweaver||3|
|CIS-72A||Introduction to Web Page Creation||1.5|
|CIS-72B||Intermediate Web Page Creation using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)||1.5|
Associate of Science Degree
The Associate of Science Degree in Graphic Design and Digital Media will be awarded upon completion of the degree requirements, including general education and other graduation requirements as described in the college catalog.