Completion of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) will permit a student to transfer from a community college to a campus in either the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) system without the need to take additional lower-division general education courses. For certain majors at some of the UC campuses it may be more advantageous to complete a campus-specific general education pattern. IGETC certification is valid for community college transfer students only. Those who have already transferred to the CSU/UC systems may under some circumstances return to Riverside City College to complete IGETC requirements. A course can only be certified if it was approved for IGETC when it was taken.

Norco College and Moreno Valley College are separate colleges and the courses that are approved for IGETC may vary. Students who wish to take courses at another institution and apply them towards IGETC should always first consult with a counselor to make sure the course will fulfill the intended requirement. Transfer students will receive IGETC certification after completing all of the subject areas below with a min. “C” grade or better (A grade of “C-” is not acceptable.)

Area 1. ENGLISH COMMUNICATION (minimum 6-9 semester or 8-12 quarter units)
CSU – 3 courses required; select one from each group:
UC – 2 courses required; select one from group 1A and one from group 1B: 

  1. English Composition: English 1A or 1AH
  2. Critical Thinking – English Composition: English 1B or 1BH (must be taken Fall 93 or later)
  3. Oral Communication: Communication Studies 1 or 1H, 6, 9 or 9H (CSU requirement only)
    (If using IGETC for ADT must complete Area 1c)

Area 2. MATHEMATICAL CONCEPTS AND QUANTITATIVE REASONING (minimum 3 semester or 4 quarter units) 
Select one course: 
Math 1A**, 1B, 1C ,2, 3, 5**, 10**, 11**, 12 or 12H, 15, 23, 25; Psychology/Sociology 48.

Area 3. ARTS AND HUMANITIES (minimum 9 semester or 12 quarter units) 
3 courses required with at least one course from the “Arts” and one from the “Humanities”.

  1. Arts: Arabic 11 or 11H; Art 6 or 6H; Art History 1 or 1H, 2 or 2H, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 6H, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15; Chinese 11; Dance 6 or 6H; Film Studies 1 or 1H, 2, 3, 4, 5; French 11; Italian 11; Japanese 11; Music 3, 4, 5, 6, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 89; Russian 11; Spanish 11; Theater Arts 3, 9, 29
  2. Humanities: American Sign Language 3, 22; Arabic 2, 3, 8; Art History 4; Chinese 2; Communication Studies 12*; English 6, 7, 8, 9, 14, 15, 16, 18 (same as ETS 18), 20 (same as ETS 20), 23, 25 (same as ETS 25), 30, 34, 35, 40, 41, 44, 45, 48; Ethnic Studies/English 18, 20, 25; Ethnic Studies 2*/History 31*; Ethnic Studies/History 14*, 15*, 28*, 29*, 44*; Ethnic Studies 13/Philosophy 14; French 2, 3, 8; History 1*, 2* or 2H*, 6* or 6H*, 7*, 7H*, 11*(same as MIL1), 12*(same as MIL2), 14*(same as ETS 14), 15*(Same as ETS 15), 19*, 25*, 26*, 28*(same as ETS 28), 29*(same as ETS 29), 31*(same as ETS2), 32*, 33*, 34*, 35*, 42*, 44*(same as ETS 44); Humanities 4 or 4H, 5 or 5H, 8, 9, 10 or 10H, 11, 16, 18, 23, 35; Italian 2 3; Japanese 2, 3, 4; Military Science 1*(same as HIS 11*), 2* (same as HIS 12*); Philosophy 10 or 10H, 12, 13, 14 (same as ETS 13), 19, 33, 35, 36; Portuguese 2; Russian 2, 3; Spanish 2, 3, 3N, 4, 8, 11, 12.

Area 4. SOCIAL AND BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES (minimum 9 semester or 12 quarter units)

Select three courses from at least two academic disciplines: 

Administration of Justice 1, 3, 9; Anthropology 1* or 1H*, 2 or 2H, 3, 4 (same as ETS 27), 5, 6, 7, 8; Chemistry 17; Communication Studies 12*, 13, 20; Early Childhood Studies 20; Economics 4**, 5, 7 or 7H, 8 or 8H, 9 or 9H, 10; Economics 6/Political Science 6; Ethnic Studies 27/Anthropology 4; Ethnic Studies 2*/History 31*; Ethnic Studies/History 14*, 15*, 28*, 29*, 44*; Geography 2, 3, 4, 6; History 1*, 2* or 2H*, 6* or 6H*, 7*or7H*, 11*, 12*, 14*(same as ETS 14), 15*(same as ETS 15), 19*, 25*, 26*, 28*(same as ETS 28), 29*(same as ETS 29*), 31*(same as ETS 2*), 32*, 33*, 34*, 35*, 42*, 44*(same as ETS 44*); Journalism 7; Military Science 1*(same as HIS 11*), 2*(same as HIS 12*); Political Science 1 or 1H, 2 or 2H, 3, 4 or 4H, 5, 11, 13; Psychology 1 or 1H, 2*, 8, 9, 33, 35, 50; Sociology 1 or 1H, 2, 3, 10 or 10H, 12, 15, 20, 25, 50.

Area 5. PHYSICAL AND BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES (minimum 7 semester or 9 quarter units)

Select at least one Physical and one Biological Science course. One of the two courses must include a lab – see underlined courses

  1. Physical Science: Astronomy 1A,1B; Chemistry 1A or 1AH, 1B or 1BH, 2A**, 2B, 3**, 10**, 12A, 12B; Geography 1, 1H, 1L, 5; Geology 1, 1L, 1B, 3, 4, 5; Oceanography 1, 1L; Physical Science 1**, 5 (same as GEG 5); Physics 2A**, 2B**, 4A**, 4B**, 4C**, 4D**, 10**/11**.
  2. Biological Science: Anthropology 1* or 1H*, 1L; Biology 1 or 1H, 3, 4 (formerly BIO 17), 5, 6**, 7, 8**, 9, 10**, 14, 14/15, 16 (formerly BIO 30), 18 (formerly BIO 34), 19 (formerly BIO 36),** 20, 45 (formerly AMY 10), 50A (formerly AMY 2A), 50B (formerly AMY 2B), 55 (formerly MIC 1), 60 (formerly BIO 11), 61 (formerly BIO 12); Psychology 2*.
  3. Laboratory: This course is satisfied by completion of any course in 5A or 5B with a laboratory. Lab courses are underlined.

AREA 6. LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH (Select one course - UC requirement only)

  1. American Sign Language 1,2,3,4; Arabic 1,2,3; Chinese 1,2; French 1,2,3; Italian 1,2,3; Japanese 1,2,3,4; Portuguese 1,2;Russian 1,2,3; Spanish 1,2,3,3N,4 OR
  2. Proficiency equivalent to two years of high school in the same languagE
    (Students from non-English speaking countries should see a counselor for proficiency equivalencies.) 

CSU Graduation Requirement Only in United States History, Constitution and Government: 
Although this is not part of the IGETC, it is a CSU graduation requirement that you can complete at Riverside City College prior to transfer. Some of these courses may also be used to partially fulfill area 3B or 4. The same course may not be used in more than one GE area.

  1. U.S. History (3 units)
    Ethnic Studies 2/History 31; Ethnic Studies/History14,15,28,29,44; History 6 or 6H or 7 or 7H,34;
    History 11/Military Science 1; History 12/Military Science 2; Humanities 16;
  2. Constitution and Government (3 units)
    Political Science 1 or 1H; Ethnic Studies/Political Science 21;

Note: Riverside City College’s POL-1/1H or ETS/POL-21 fulfills the CSU graduation requirement in both U.S. government and California state and local government. Students who have completed ETS/POL-23, or who have received a score of 3 or higher on the AP U.S. Government and Politics exam, or who have taken a U.S. government class at an out-of-state institution may have fulfilled the U.S. government requirement but will still need to fulfill the California state and local government in order to graduate from the CSU.

New CSU GE Ethnic Studies requirement - Beginning in Fall 21 the CSU has implemented an Ethnic Studies requirement, which is now CSU GE area F. Currently at Riverside City College Ethnic Studies 1, 3, 7, 8; Ethnic Studies 13/Philosophy 14; Ethnic Studies/History 14, 15, 44; Ethnic Studies/Political Science 21, 23 are approved to satisfy this requirement. See the 21-22 CSU GE pattern and consult with a counselor for complete details. 

IGETC Advisement: Former UC, CSU and students with coursework from other four-year institutions, including outside the U.S., should consult with a counselor to determine whether they should complete IGETC or the lower-division general educationrequirements at the campus they plan to attend.

For the UC: Students who initially enroll at a UC campus, then leave and attend a California Community College, and subsequently return to the same UC campus, are considered “re-admits” by the UC. Such students cannot use IGETC. However, students who enroll at a UC campus, then leave and attend a California Community College, and subsequently return to a different UC campus may use the IGETC pattern. It is recommended that students meet with a counselor to discuss possible further IGETC limitations.


  1. *Courses cannot be double-counted to satisfy more than one area, even if a course is listed in more than one area. Theonly exceptions to this are several courses in Area 6A – Language Other Than English, which can also be countedtowards area 3B.
  2. **UC limits transfer credit for some courses. Students may review the UC Transfer Course Agreement (TCA) with acounselor for information on course limitations.
  3. A grade of “P” in approved coursework taken as Pass/No Pass through RCCD is acceptable for IGETC certification. It isimportant to keep in mind that some CSU and UC campuses may have limitations on the number of “Credit/No Credit”(“Pass/No Pass”) courses that may be used to meet degree requirements. The UC system allows a maximum of 14 semesterunits graded “Pass/No Pass” (Credit/No Credit) basis of the 60 transferable semester units required for admission. There is nosystem-wide policy for CSU campuses. Therefore, each campus has established its own policy on limitations of coursestransferred with grades of “Credit/Pass”.
  4. Some of the UC campuses do not accept or recommend IGETC for certain majors, (i.e. Engineering, Sciences).Students should consult with a counselor to determine the most appropriate general education pattern for their majorand intended transfer institution. For updated information about these limitations please visit:
  5. It is highly recommended to make an appointment with a counselor to complete a student educational plan (SEP).

Note - IGETC and IGETC for STEM requirements are subject to change based on the new CSU Ethnic Studies requirement. Updated requirements will be posted as soon as they are available.


Students pursuing certain Associate Degrees for Transfer may be eligible to complete IGETC for STEM, deferring two to three lower-division GE courses until after transfer. IGETC for STEM is applicable only to majors in which the Transfer Model Curriculum explicitly indicates the availability of the option. At Riverside City College, currently only ADT’s in Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Science allow IGETC for STEM.

"IGETC for STEM" certification as part of an Associate Degree for Transfer in Biology, Chemistry, or Environmental Science would require:

Complete the following courses before transfer:

  • All courses in Areas 1, 2, and 5 of the traditional IGETC; and
  • One course in Area 3A; one course in Area 3B; and two courses in Area 4 from two different disciplines.

Complete the following courses after transfer:

  • One remaining lower-division general education course in Area 3;*
  • One remaining lower-division general education course in Area 4;* and
  • One course in Area 6 for UC-bound students who have not satisfied it through proficiency.*

*These deferred lower division courses must be replaced with calculus and/or science courses required by the major before transfer.

Please consult with a Riverside City College counselor to discuss which general education pattern is the best option for you based on your individual major, goals, and transfer institution. 


Drink 5.27.21