Associate Degree for Transfer in Art History
The Associate in Arts in Art History for Transfer degree is designed to facilitate the student’s passage from Riverside City College to the California State University System with an emphasis in art history. This degree is intended to satisfy the lower division requirements for the Baccalaureate Degree in Studio Art, Art History track at a California State University. It will also provide the student with a sufficient academic basis from which to pursue a career in the studio art professions.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Identify, describe, analyze, and discuss the stylistic characteristics of a wide variety of countries, regions, and periods of European and non-European artworks.
- Formulate and synthesize observations and evaluations regarding the historical, social, and political context in which various forms of art were created in both written and oral form.
- Apply various methodologies for interpreting a range of art forms to evaluate and analyze the ideas and philosophies expressed and explored within the art works.
- Critique, compare, and contrast various key artists, artworks and styles across a wide span of time using appropriate art terminology.
- Recognize distinctive iconography from a mixture of different geographical areas and relate these manifestations to local, social, cosmological, and political institutions.
|Required Courses (18 units)||Units|
|AHS-1/1H*||History of Western Art: Prehistoric, Ancient, and Medieval/Honors||3|
|AHS-2*/2H*||History of Western Art: Renaissance 3through Contemporary/Honors||3|
|Electives - A||Choose from list A below||3|
|Electives - B||Choose from list B below||3|
|Electives - C||Choose from list C below||3|
|Electives - List A (3 units)||Units|
|AHS-5*||Arts of Africa, Oceania, and Indigenous North America||3|
|AHS-9*||African Art History||3|
|AHS-12*||Asian Art History||3|
|Electives - List B (3 units)||Units|
|ART-23||Color Theory and Design||3|
|PHO-8||Introduction to Photography||3|
|Electives - List C (3 units) Select any course from list C, or any course from List A or B not already used||Units|
|AHS-4*||Introduction to Visual Culture||3|
|AHS-7*||Women Artists in History||3|
|AHS-10*||Modern and Contemporary Art History||3|
*Courses may also be used to fulfill general education requirements for the CSUGE or IGETC pattern, please confer with a counselor.
Note: Updates to the Art History ADT are pending until chaptering at the State Chancellor's Office. See catalog addendum for final requirements.
Associate in Arts for Transfer Degree
The Associate in Arts in Art History for Transfer degree will be awarded upon completion of 60 California State University (CSU) transferable units including the above major requirements and the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or California State University General Education (CSUGE) requirements and with a minimum grade point average of 2.0. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better (or a “P” if taken as Pass/No Pass).