For each major at a four-year institution, there are lower-division (freshman and sophomore level) major preparation requirements. Students should complete as many lower-division major courses as possible prior to transfer. Each four-year university has its own programs and major requirements. It is recommended that students see a counselor, on a regular basis, to determine the courses needed to transfer to CSU, UC or a private university.