BP 2235
Title 5 Section 55050

Credit may be earned by students who satisfactorily pass an assessment, which may include approved external standardized examinations, credit by examination, and the evaluation of Joint Services Transcripts (in the case of military service), student-created portfolios, industry credentials and experience, to be determined by faculty in the district-wide discipline. The Chancellor shall establish administrative procedures to implement this Board Policy in consultation with District Academic Senate. 

Also see AP 2235 Credit for Prior Learning and AP 2236 Advanced Placement Credit.

Credit by Examination
Credit may be granted to any student who satisfactorily passes an examination approved or conducted by the discipline or program in which a comparable course is offered. In the case of foreign (world) languages students must complete a higher level course in order to receive credit for a lower level language course.

To be eligible to petition for credit by examination, a student must be currently enrolled, fully matriculated, in good standing and have completed 12 units or more of work at Riverside Community College District with an overall grade point average of 2.0 “C”. The option for credit by examination may not be available for all course offerings; contingent upon discipline curricular decisions with consultation and review by the Office of Educational Services.

All students, including concurrently enrolled high school students, must apply for credit by examination on the appropriate petition form obtained from the Admissions office at the Riverside, Moreno Valley and Norco colleges and pay enrollment fees including out of state and/or out of country tuition where applicable.

A student may receive credit by examination in one course for each semester or summer/winter intersession in a total unit amount not to exceed 15 units. Work experience classes are excluded from credit by examination.

After the discipline faculty has determined the student’s evaluative symbol, the student will be notified and the permanent record will reflect the credit and/or grade.

Credit by examination is not treated as part of the student’s study load for any given semester, or for eligibility purposes and therefore, will not require a petition for excess study load. It is not part of the study load for Veterans Administration Benefits or eligibility purposes. The student’s academic record will be clearly annotated to reflect that credit was earned by examination.

Units for which credit is given pursuant to the provisions of this section shall not be counted in determining the credit in residence required for an associate degree.

Credit for College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Credit is not allowed if coursework in the subject area has been completed or AP credit has previously been granted. CLEP exams may be used to certify CSU requirements as indicated by the CSU system. They will not be used to certify IGETC requirements, at this time. Students planning to transfer should check the policy on CLEP in the catalog of the college to which they will transfer. To apply for CLEP credit the student must have completed 12 units in residency at Riverside Community College District. An official transcript is required. For further information, contact the Counseling office.

RCCD General Education/CSU-GE Credit for CLEP Tests
Students may earn credit for College–Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. CLEP credit can be used to meet CSU-GE and RCCD general education (GE). UC does not award units for CLEP credit. Students must have the College Board send CLEP results to the Admissions Office for use on the A.A. or CSU-GE patterns. Course credit and units granted at Riverside City College may differ from course credit and units granted by another college or transfer institution.