The Student Employment Program helps students earn money to pay for their educational expenses by working part time (up to 20 hours per week). Hourly pay rates vary and start at the current federal minimum wage; however, some positions may start at a higher rate of pay. The benefits of student employment include:

  • Supervisor will work around a student’s class schedule
  • Helps students pay for educational expenses
  • Helps students gain work experience

There are multiple types of employment through the Student Employment Program:

  1. Federal Work Study (FWS)
    Students must:
    1. Have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which can be completed online at
    2. Have completed their financial aid file.
    3. Have been determined eligible for financial aid.
    4. Meet the Student Financial Services Satisfactory Academic Progress standard.
    5. Maintain at least half-time enrollment.
    6. Maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.

      Students have the potential to be awarded and earn up to $4,000 during a fiscal year (July 1st through June 30th)

      Types of FWS Programs
      1. On-Campus positions
      2. Off-Campus positions
        1. America Reads
        2. America Counts
        3. Community service
        4. Literacy
  2. District (non-work study) Employment
    These positions are available on each college throughout the District and do not require the completion of the FAFSA. Earnings are paid from a department’s budget.

    Students must:
    1. Maintain at least half-time enrollment.
    2. Maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA.
    3. Students must have a valid Social Security card and picture ID with the same name in which they register for classes, along with completing additional documentation for a FWS or District position. For more information please refer to our website

      Federal Work Study and District positions may be viewed by clicking on the “Apply Here” link under the student section on the above webpage for student employment. 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  3. CalWORKs Work Study
    The Riverside City College teams up with employers to provide paid job training to eligible students. This program benefits employers as well as the students. To be eligible students are required to:
    1. Enrollment in 1.0 or more units each semester.
    2. Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
    3. Be eligible for the CalWORKs program.

For more information, visit the student employment counter located in the CAK Student Services building or contact us at (951) 222-8291.