Enrollment Fees - California Residents
Students shall be classified as California residents for enrollment fee purposes when they have been a legal resident of California one year and one day prior to the term of application. The one year period begins when a student is not only present in California but also has demonstrated clear intent to become a permanent resident of California.

Residency determination is made as of day prior to the first day of the term of application.

The enrollment fee for California residents is set per state legislation.

Active duty military, veterans, and their dependents may also qualify for residency or a non-resident tuition exemption. Please see the Admissions and Records office for more information.

Non-Resident Tuition and Fees
A student who is not considered a California resident for enrollment fee purposes is eligible for admission to a college in the Riverside Community College District. Non-resident students are required to pay a non-resident tuition fee in addition to the resident enrollment fees.

Out-of-country non-residents, who plan to attend college on an F-1 visa, pay a nonrefundable per unit surcharge in addition to the enrollment fee and non-resident fees. International applicants pay an admission application fee and health insurance fee.

AB 540 Non-Resident Fee Waiver
A student who qualifies for the Non-Resident Fee Waiver will be exempt from paying the out-of-state tuition fee and will pay the per unit resident enrollment fee. Effective Spring 2013 students who qualify for AB540 may be eligible for some state financial aid. Please see the Financial Aid section for information on the Dream Application.

Any student other than a non-immigrant within the meaning of paragraph (15) of subsection (a) of Section 1101 of Title 8 of the United States Code, who meets all of the following requirements, and is physically present in California, shall be exempt from paying non-resident tuition at Riverside Community College District, if they sign an affidavit verifying:

  1. Total attendance (or attainment of credits earned) in California equivalent to three or more years of full-time attendance at California high schools (established by the State Board of Education), California adult schools (established by a county office of education, a unified or high school district, or the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation), campuses of the California Community Colleges, or a combination of these.
    Three or more years of full-time California high school coursework, and attendance of a total of three or more years in a combination of California elementary, secondary, and/or high schools.
  2. Graduation from a California high school or equivalent (i.e., GED, CHSPE), attainment of an associate degree from a California community college, or fulfillment of the minimum transfer requirements established for the University of California or the California State University for students transferring from a California community college.
  3. In the case of a person without lawful immigration status, an affidavit (available from the Admissions office) stating that the student has filed an application to legalize their immigration status, or will file an application as soon as they are eligible to do so. Student information obtained in the implementation of this section is confidential.

In addition, the student must be physically present in California to be eligible for AB540. A student who meets the qualifications for the AB 540 Non-Resident Fee Waiver is exempt from paying out-of-state tuition and will pay the per unit resident enrollment fees. Eligibility for AB 540 does not change a student’s non-resident status.

SB 141 Non-Resident Fee Waiver
Students who are U.S. citizens and who may presently reside in a foreign country will be exempt from non-resident tuition by meeting the following requirements:

  1. Demonstrates a financial need for the exemption.
  2. Has a parent or guardian who has been deported or was permitted to depart voluntarily under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act
  3. Moved abroad as a result of the deportation or voluntary departure
  4. Lived in California immediately before moving abroad
  5. Attended a public or private secondary school in California for three or more years
  6. Upon enrollment, will be in his or her first academic year as a matriculated student in California public higher education
  7. Will be living in California and will file an affidavit with the community college stating that he or she intends to establish residency in California as soon as possible
  8. Documentation shall be provided at the office of Admissions and Records by the student as required by statute as specified in Education Code section 76140(a)(5)

A student receiving a non-resident tuition exemption under SB 141 does not receive resident status for the purpose of fees or financial aid. Rather they are exempt from non-resident tuition fees under this law. These students will not qualify for the California College Promise Grant (formally the BOG Fee Waiver) and any other state financial aid until they establish California residency. As citizens, SB 141 students may apply and qualify for federal financial assistance such as Pell, FSEOG and federal student loans.

AB 343 Nonresident Tuition Exemptions for Refugees with Special Immigrant Visas
Education Code section 68075.6 grants an immediate nonresident tuition fee exemption to eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders and refugee students who settled in California upon entering the United States. This exemption is granted for one year from the date the student settled in California upon entering the United States. Please see the Admissions and Records office for more information. 

Health Fee
Every student, including those who qualify for a California College Promise Grant (formally the BOG Fee Waiver), is required to pay a health services fee per Title 5 state regulations. Students who rely exclusively on faith healing or who are participating in approved apprenticeship programs are exempt from paying the health fee. Students must apply for this waiver by submitting a Health Services Fee Waiver Request and supporting documentation to the Health Services office. The form is available in the Admissions and Records office.

Parking permits may be purchased on MyPortal/WebAdvisor the cost of which includes shipping and handling. Parking permits may be requested through MyPortal/WebAdvisor and may be paid online or in person at the Cashier’s office. Special parking is provided for the physically handicapped at the same cost. Student permit enforcement of student parking spaces is suspended during the first two weeks of the Fall and Spring semesters and the first week of the Summer session.

Transportation Fee
The Transportation fee provides free transportation on RTA fixed routes for students with Riverside City College photo ID cards. Fees vary according to full-time or part-time status.

Library Fees
Overdue fines:
Overdue fines may be levied if an item is not returned on time. Fines may vary by item. 
Replacement fees:
If materials are not returned, they are declared lost. A bill will be issued for each lost item which will include:

  1. the actual replacement cost of the item;
  2. any overdue fines.

The replacement cost will be refunded if the item is returned within one year; however, the overdue fines will still be charged. 
Library card fees:
Community members may purchase a library card for $5 per session upon proof of District residency, and age of 16 years or older (California Driver License, California Identification Card, or Military Identification Card).

Books, Equipment and Supplies
The cost of books and equipment depends upon the courses elected and the amount of work undertaken. The RCC bookstore has many choices for students to purchase their books such as a rental program, many digital options, and used and new textbooks.

In some courses, students will be expected to provide consumable items. In such classes, students will be informed of these items at the first meeting and will be expected to purchase them in order to continue in these classes. Whenever possible, the RCC bookstore will attempt to stock the required items.

Payment Method
The RCCD bookstores will gladly accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express and ATM debit cards (with VISA or MasterCard logos) and Follett’s gift cards. If you are using your parent’s credit card, you MUST have a written authorization letter from them with a signature on both the letter and the card. Checks are not accepted.

Full refunds are given on textbooks during the first week of school only with a store receipt. If you drop a class, you have 30 days from the start of school to return for a full refund as long as you have a store receipt and the book is in the same condition that you purchased it in. All returns/exchanges require an original receipt. The bookstore will buy back textbooks every day from students. The best time to sell back your textbooks is during finals week. Bring your student identification and the books and we can let you know the value.

Other Charges
An appropriate charge will be made for breakage of district supplied materials in laboratory courses.

Enrollment Verification
Students may request an Enrollment Verification form from Admissions and Records to verify course enrollment (hours and unit value), fees, grade point average, and student enrollment status in any given term. The first two enrollment verification forms are free of charge and each request thereafter is $2. Refer to Units for Full-time/Part-time Status for details.