Student Success and Support Program (SSSP), also known as Matriculation, is intended to assist students in accessing college and providing support services to help them establish and achieve their educational goals. Students are provided with a college orientation, placement results, counseling, completion of an educational plan and follow-up services. Prior to registering for classes, all first-time college students must complete the online orientation and review their Trailhead courses that will assist in selecting coursework for their first 15 units.

It is the student’s responsibility to a) complete orientation and a placement survey, if applicable, prior to registering for classes, b) express a broad educational intent upon admission, and c) declare a specific educational goal by the time 15 semester units are completed. The student is also responsible for participating in counseling, attending class, completing assignments, and maintaining progress toward their educational goal.

RCCD uses multiple measure assessment criteria to assist students in determining appropriate placement for entering courses in English, ESL, and mathematics courses. Placement criteria may use past performance measures like overall high school GPA, individual course-taking performance, and course-taking patterns to determine appropriate placement in English and mathematics. First-time college students are automatically placed into English and mathematics based upon information they supply on the admissions application.

Students who wish to take English as a Second Language classes should use the online guided self-placement tool to help determine placement into ESL courses.

Students with English placement recommendations that include a support class with the transfer level course may petition to take the course without support. Students seeking this option must complete the English Placement Challenge form. Petitions take from one to five working days to process.

It is strongly recommended that students enroll in appropriate English composition and mathematics courses during their first or second semester of enrollment. Placement results are found under the Placement Test Summary option in MyPortal/WebAdvisor. Students needing assistance with appropriate placement should contact either the Assessment Center or visit the Counseling Center (located on the second floor of the Charles A. Kane building).

Other Assessments
Assessments for Spanish, reading for Nursing, and Chemistry are provided in the Assessment Center located within the college Welcome Center. Students can test on a walk-in basis. If there is no space available, students will be given a same-day or next-day appointment to return. Students who have a documented disability requiring a unique accommodation can take the test in the Disability Resource Center. To request this service, call: (951) 222-8060. Hours of operation are posted outside the Welcome Center (located on the first floor of the Charles A. Kane building), available online at the Welcome Center webpage, and via telephone at (951) 222-8574.

Students are required to present photo identification in order to test; a state or federal issued driver’s license or ID is preferred, but passports and high school ID are also acceptable. In order to preserve a comfortable and quiet testing environment, only students taking the test can remain in the Assessment Center. Friends and family (including minors) who are not testing cannot remain in the room.

To maximize the likelihood of success, students should complete their transfer-level English composition and transfer-level Mathematics courses during their first year of enrollment. Development of competent reading, writing skills, and analytical skills provide a foundation that increases students ability to be successful in other college courses.

Two business days after completing the application and survey, students will be provided their abbreviated educational plan/Trailhead courses. This will provide students with recommended courses for their first 15 units at RCC which will be appropriate based on their major/academic program of study. To complete this step please log on to your MyPortal/WebAdvisor account and select “View Abbreviated Educational Plan/Trailhead” under the academic planning header. If you have questions, please call (951) 222-8440 or stop by the Counseling department or Welcome Center at RCC.

Counseling for Continuing Students
Continuing matriculated students are encouraged to see a counselor who will recommend appropriate coursework based on placement results, review of past school records, and other information provided by the students. Students who have attended other college(s) must request to have an official transcript(s) sent to Riverside City College before scheduling
counseling appointments or requesting a comprehensive Student Educational Plan (SEP).

All students pursuing certificate or degree programs, either associate or baccalaureate, should see their counselor each year to review their SEP.

Are You Exempt From Matriculation Pre-Enrollment Requirements?

The following Board approved criteria define exempt students at Riverside Community College District:

  1. Students who have completed 60 or more units or who have graduated from an accredited U.S. college or university with an AA degree or higher.
  2. First-time college students who have declared one of the following goals:
    1. Advance in current career/job
    2. Maintain certificate/license
    3. Educational development
    4. Complete credits for high school diploma
  3. Students who are enrolled full time at another institution (high school or college) and will be taking five units or less.

Counselors/Professors will provide follow-up activities on behalf of matriculated students. “Early Alert” follow-up activities are designed to inform students of their progress early in the semester and to continue to assist students in accomplishing their educational goals. “Probation/Dismissal” activities help students make progress toward successful completion of their academic goals. Referrals for appropriate support services will be made to on-campus and off-campus locations when appropriate.

Students Rights and Responsibilities
Any student who does not meet a prerequisite or corequisite, or who is not permitted to enroll due to a limitation on enrollment but who provides satisfactory evidence may seek entry into the course.

Students wishing to utilize the challenge procedure must contact Counseling and complete the required Matriculation Appeal Petition. Prerequisites and/or corequisites may be challenged based on the following criteria:

  1. The prerequisite or corequisite has not been established in accordance with the District’s process for establishing prerequisites and corequisites;
  2. The prerequisite or corequisite is in violation of Title 5, Section 55003;
  3. The prerequisite or corequisite is either unlawfully discriminatory or is being applied in an unlawfully discriminatory manner;
  4. The student has the knowledge or ability to succeed in the course or program despite not meeting the prerequisite or corequisite;
  5. The student will be subject to undue delay in attaining the goal of his or her educational plan because the prerequisite or corequisite course has not been made reasonably available or such other grounds for challenge as may be established by the Board;
  6. The student seeks to enroll and has not been allowed to enroll due to a limitation on enrollment established for a course that involves intercollegiate competition or public performance, or one or more of the courses for which enrollment has been limited to a cohort of students;
  7. The student seeks to enroll in a course that has a prerequisite established to protect health and safety, and the student demonstrates that he or she does not pose a threat to himself or herself or others.

The student has the obligation to provide satisfactory evidence that the challenge should be upheld. However, where facts essential to a determination of whether the student’s challenge should be upheld are or ought to be in the District’s own records, then the District has the obligation to produce that information.

Unofficial transcripts may be submitted one time only with the Matriculation Appeal Petition to temporarily validate a prerequisite. Official transcripts must be received prior to registration for the next term for permanent validation. “Official” is defined as transcripts no more than 90 days old and in a sealed envelope from the original institution.

If you have questions regarding the matriculation process, please contact the Counseling department at RCC at (951) 222-8440 or email SSSP at

Comprehensive Student Educational Plan (SEP)
Counselors are available to assist matriculated students in developing an educational plan that outlines the courses and services necessary to achieve their goals. When goals or majors are changed, students must see a counselor to update their educational plan. Students who have attended other college(s) must request to have an official transcript(s) sent to Riverside City College before scheduling counseling appointments or requesting a Student Educational Plan (SEP). Due to a high demand for counseling during registration, winter, and summer terms, it is highly recommended that continuing students make an appointment with a counselor during the fall and spring terms to complete a Student Educational Plan.

It is important for students to identify a clear educational objective. This may be a desire to broaden his or her knowledge as a foundation for upper division college work or to develop marketable occupational skills. A student undecided about objectives is invited to discuss personal goals with a college counselor, visit the career center, and/or enroll in GUI 47, Career Exploration and Life Planning.