Riverside Community College District offers some courses which place limitations on enrollment. These limitations may include successful completion of courses, successful completion of online tutorials to demonstrate computer skills, preparation levels for math and English, performance criteria, or health and safety conditions. Students who do not meet the conditions imposed by these limitations will be blocked from enrolling in these classes.

Remedial Limitation
Riverside Community College District Board Policy 4222 limits the number of units students can earn for remedial/pre-collegiate basic skills courses to 24 semester units. Pre-collegiate/basic skills courses are defined as those two or more levels below college level English and one or more levels below elementary algebra. Riverside Community College District has designated certain courses as pre-collegiate basic skills courses. These courses include reading, writing, computation, and learning skills designed to assist students in acquiring the skills needed for college level courses. These courses are considered non-degree applicable and earn credit but are not counted toward the 60 units required for the associate degree. Non-degree courses do apply toward: residency, athletic eligibility, work study and financial aid, Veterans benefits, associated student body office, and full-time status. Non-degree credit status is indicated at the end of the course description.

Exemptions to Remedial Limitation
All developmental courses taken by students enrolled in English as a Second Language course are exempted. Students identified by the District for learning disabled programs are also exempted. Students with documented disabilities may petition the Disability Resource Center for exemption status on a case-by-case basis.

When a course has a prerequisite, it means that a student must have certain knowledge to be successful in the course. The prior knowledge may be a skill (type 40 wpm), an ability (speaks and writes French fluently), a placement preparation score, or successful completion of a course (grade “C” or better in CHE-1A). Completion of the prerequisite is required prior to enrolling in the class. Students who have completed a course at another institution for which they would like credit must fill out a Prerequisite Validation Form in order to have coursework on official transcripts validated for math, English, or other prerequisites. If you are currently enrolled in a prerequisite course at Riverside Community College District (i.e., ENG-1A), you will be allowed to register for the succeeding class (i.e., ENG-1B). However, if you do not pass the prerequisite course with at least a “C” grade, you will be dropped from the succeeding class. Successful completion of a prerequisite requires a grade of “C” or better or P (Pass). C-, D, F, FW, NP (No Pass), or I grades are not acceptable.

When a course has a corequisite, it means that a student is required to take another course concurrent with or prior to enrollment in the course. Knowing the information presented in the corequisite course is considered necessary for a student to be successful in the course. (Completion of, or concurrent enrollment in, Math 1A is required for Physics 4A.)

It is the student’s responsibility to know and meet the course pre-requisites and corequisites. These are stated in the course descriptions of the schedule of classes and the current college catalog. A student may be required to file proof of prerequisite and corequisite requirements.

When a course has an advisory, it means that a student is recommended to have certain preparation before entering the course. The preparation is considered advantageous to a student’s success in the course. Since the preparation is advised, but not required, to meet the condition before or in conjunction with enrollment in the course (eligibility for ENG 1A is recommended) students will not be blocked from enrolling in a class if they do not meet the advisory.

Official Evaluation of Credit Completed at Other Schools
Students who have completed credit at RCCD or other institutions and wish to obtain a Riverside City, Moreno Valley, or Norco degree, certificate, or transfer to a CSU or UC, may request an official evaluation by completing a “Student Request for Official Evaluation” form. These forms may be requested at your counseling appointment. The student must currently be enrolled at RCCD. The official evaluation will be completed by the Evaluations office once all official transcripts (ones that are received by RCCD directly from the issuing institution) are received. A copy of the completed evaluation will be forwarded to the student.

Health Requirement
It is recommended that each student new to Riverside Community College District have current immunizations and a physical examination by his or her family physician before enrolling. Students who plan to participate in intercollegiate athletics should contact the Kinesiology department about sports physicals. Student-parents of the children in the Child Development Center must have a tuberculin skin test or a chest x-ray that is negative for tuberculosis. Their children are required to have this as well as be up to date on their immunizations of DPT, MMR, TOPV.