Viewpoints Beats its Award Record at JACC
With 20 total awards, Riverside City College’s student newspaper Viewpoints continued its winning ways in a virtual environment at the California Journalism Association of Community Colleges Fall Conference November 5-7.
The publication earned a meritorious nod in the online general excellence category for Viewpointsonline.org in the Southern California publication regional awards competition. This marks the 40th award in this category since 1996.
Winning entries — stories, photos, illustrations and other multimedia content — reflected student work from the Spring ’21 semester. On-the-spot contests enabled student journalists to pit their talent against counterparts in other California community colleges statewide.
Below is the summary of wins, which illustrates the paper’s commitment to thriving virtually while adding solid writing and multimedia content excellence to its legacy.
Statewide On-the-Spot Awards
- Copy Editing: Leo Cabral (editor-in-chief) – 1st place
- Infographic: Elaina Kleven (features editor) – 4th place
- Opinion writing: Leo Cabral – honorable mention
Southern California Publication Regional Awards
- Front page layout: Viewpoints staff – 2nd place
- Editorial cartoon:
- Arsal Asif (former student) – 1st place
- Dani Rebolledo (former student) – honorable mention
- Infographic: Leo Cabral – 2nd and 4th place
- Photo illustration: Daniel Hernandez (managing editor) – 4th place
- Student-designed ad: Daniel Hernandez – 2nd place
- Multimedia/video journalism: Daniel Hernandez – 4th place
- News writing/columns:
- Julio Rodriguez (former student) – 3rd place
- Bianca Macias (former student) – honorable mention
- News writing/critical review:
- Alyssa Aldrete (former student) – 2nd place and honorable mention
- News writing/enterprise news story:
- Bianca Macias – meritorious
- News writing/story:
- Erik Galicia (former editor-in-chief) – 3rd place
- Photo essay: Joyce Nugent (reporter/staff photographer) – honorable mention
Viewpoints staff members participate annually in the JACC Fall Conference, which provides student journalists and faculty advisors with workshops and forums for ideation for personal and program growth as well as enrichment opportunities.
For more info about Viewpoints visit https://viewpointsonline.org.