Steps for Receiving the GI Bill Educational Benefits
First Time Benefit User Checklist
Apply to Riverside City College at
Complete any required Assessment Testing, Online Orientation and First Semester Student Ed Plan (SEP)
Apply for Financial Aid if eligible at
Activate your RCC email account
Apply for VA benefits online at. Complete the 1990/5490 required form:
Veterans – Chapter 30/33/1606/ REAP 1607
Application for VA Education Benefits -Form 22-1990
Attach Member 4 copy of DD214 Discharge Paper (Chapter 30 & 1607) or
NOBE (Chapter 1606) with the completed VA Application for Education Benefits
or signature page if applying online at
Mail to the VA Regional Office at Muskogee, OK
Dependents/Spouse –Chapter 35
VA Application for Survivor’s or Dependent’s Educational Assistance- Form 22-5490
Attach a copy of the Marriage Certificate (spouse) or a copy of the birth certificate (dependent) with the completed VA Application for Survivor’s or Dependent’s Educational Benefits or signature page if applying online at (include veteran’s VA file #).
Mail to the VA Regional Office at Muskogee, OK (at the address listed).
Note: After applying, in about 3-4 weeks two copies of the Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you.
Bring one copy to Veterans’ Services at Riverside City College.
Request all transcripts be sent: Military All previously attended colleges High School
Note: Transcripts must be official, sealed, and printed less than 90 days ago. Have your transcripts sent to:
Riverside City College Incoming Transcripts, 4800 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92506
Check if your transcripts have been received. Go to , and log on to Web Advisor. Look under Transcripts Received to see if your transcripts have reached us. Your user name is your initials and student ID#, Lisa Jones (example L J 3 0 3 0 3 2 0). Your initial password is your 6-digit birth date (example 060378).
Choose a VA approved program of study. Listing available at:
VA approved transfer programs available to view at: .
Call Veterans/Student Services at RCC once all transcripts have been received and request to start the evaluation process; you must notify them of your intended Program of Study.
Note: The evaluation process will take approximately 2 weeks.
Check your RCC email. Once the VA Student Educational Plan (SEP) is complete, you will receive an email via your RCC email directing you to contact the Counseling dept.  to schedule a counseling appointment to review and receive a copy of your VA SEP. The VA will not pay for classes that are not required on the VA SEP.
Register for courses listed on your VA SEP. To find out your registration date log in to Web Advisor at
Turn in a Blue Sheet (Veteran’s Statement of Responsibility) after you are enrolled in classes. This must be done every term to request your benefits.
If you have any questions, call RCC Veterans’ Services 951-222-8607.