FAQ's for Veterans Using VA Educational Benefits

Once I submit a Veteran’s Statement of Responsibility (Blue Sheet) how long will it take until I am certified?
If all other steps for certification are complete, once a student submits his/her Blue Sheet the processing time is 1-2 weeks. However, during peak registration processing time can take up to 3 weeks.

How often am I required to submit the Veteran’s Statement of Responsibility to Veterans Services and why?
You are required to submit a 'Blue Sheet' every term that you plan to collect benefits. Turning this in immediately once you enroll in classes, allows the college to certify you for your courses and prevents you from being dropped for non-payment.  
What do I do if I drop or add classes after I turn in my Blue Sheet?
You are responsible to notify Veterans Services immediately of any changes to your schedule.  Failure to do so can affect your monthly payments.
How will I know my courses have been certified?
You can check on your certification status via the WAVE website at: http://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do.
Why am I required to submit transcripts from other schools attended and the military?
All prior credit must be evaluated before a veteran can collect educational benefits at the college. Veterans are not able to receive payment for a course that has previously been successfully completed or that is not required on their VA Student Educational Plan (SEP).  Also, a VA SEP cannot be prepared until all transcripts are submitted.

Am I required to submit High School transcripts?
The only reason HS transcripts must be submitted are to obtain certain Ed Plans. For instance, transferring to a UC and various program of studies require an evaluation of HS transcripts.

How do I schedule an appointment to meet with a Counselor?
If you want to meet with a Counselor to discuss choosing a program of study, you can make an appointment with the Counseling Dept. Veterans Services staff can also give you a Counselor Referral form to take to the Counseling Dept. to schedule an appointment.
It is also highly recommended to meet with a counselor each semester to review your VA Student Education Plan and remaining classes.

What is a VA SEP and why is it necessary to obtain one before I am certified?
A VA SEP is a Student Educational Plan that is prepared by a Veterans’ Counselor for Veterans. This form lists the courses that are needed or have already been completed for a VA approved program. The VA will only pay a Veteran to take required courses listed on the VA SEP. Therefore, students will only be eligible for payment if registered for courses from the list.

How do I obtain a VA Student Education Plan (VA SEP)?
Log into WebAdvisor at www.rcc.edu to check the status of incoming transcripts. Once all transcripts have been received, call Veterans Services at Riverside (951) 222-8607and request a transcript evaluation. Be prepared to tell Veterans Services your intended “Program of Study”. Once the VA SEP is complete, you will receive notification via your RCC email. This email will direct you to contact the Counseling Dept. to schedule a counseling appointment to review and receive a copy of your VA SEP. 
What do I do if I want to change my Major?
You will need to submit a Form 22-1995/5495 to Veterans Services to request to have a new VA SEP prepared for the new program of study. 
Does RCC have a VA Work Study Program?
Yes, and occasionally there are positions open for VA work study.  Please contact RCC Veterans Services at 951-222-8607 for more information.
Can I apply for any other type of Financial Assistance in addition to GIBILL®?
Yes, you can also apply for financial aid via http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. For more information, please refer to Student Financial Services website or contact 951-222-8710. 

I am a student and am interested in taking classes required on my VA SEP at a different community college.  What would I need to do to get those courses certified? (Parent School Letter)
A Parent School letter is required in order to collect benefits for courses taken while concurrently enrolled at another college. If you plan to maintain RCC as your primary school, Veterans Services can create the Parent School Letter. You will need to provide the course descriptions and amount of units.  Once this information has been received and the course/s approved as required, a Parent School Letter can be provided to the other college so you can be certified for your course/s.

This information also pertains to the colleges within the Riverside Community College District.

If I am called to Active Duty and am unable to finish my courses, what should I do and what will happen to my record at the college?
Students called to active duty can drop their classes, get refunds for fees and books, and receive an "MW" on their transcript. The MW" grade is not counted as punitive towards probation or dismissal. Documentation is required – You will need to submit your signed, active duty or reserve duty orders with an ECP to Admissions to start this process.
If you are using your GIBILL benefits, you must also let Veterans Services staff know.

If I change my address will I also need to notify the VA in addition to RCC?
Yes.  Also, contact the VA online at the GI Bill website through WAVE, or by phone the VA at: 888-GIBILL1 (442-4551).    
Veterans Services Office &
Veterans Resource Center
Location: Dr Charles A. Kane    Student Services and Administration Building
Room 104 (First Floor)

       4800 Magnolia Avenue
Riverside, CA  92506

   Hours of Operation
  • Mon, Thurs
             8 am - 5 pm
  • Tues, Wen
             8 am - 6 pm 
  • Friday 
             8 am- 5 pm