Chafee Grant for Foster Youth
The Chafee Grant for Foster Youth is a federal and state funded grant that assists eligible students with college expenses, including child care, transportation and room & board.  This money does not have to be repaid.  The grant is up to $5000 per academic year, pending funding levels, cost of attendance and enrollment.  This grant is administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC).
Who Qualifies for the Chafee Grant?
To qualify for the Chafee Grant, you must be
  • A current or former foster youth who was a ward of the court, livining in foster care, for at least one day between the ages of 16 and 18.
  • If you are/were in Kin-GAP, a non-related legal guardianship, or were adopted, you are eligible only if you were a dependant or ward of the court, living in foster care, for at least one day between the ages of 16 and 18. 
  • Have not reached your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year. 
  • Have not participated in the program for more than 5 years (whether or not consecutive
  • You must be enrolled in a progam of study at least 1 year in length.

How do I apply for the Chafee Grant?
To apply for the Chafee grant, students need to complete the following applications:

·  Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at each academic year or the Dream Application online at for Dream Applicants
·  Chafee Grant application online at for your initial application.  Paper applications are also available via the resource link at the bottom of this page
·  Your college will also need to submit a Chafee Need Analysis Report (NAR) for each academic year.  You will need to contact your college of choice to inquire on how to have your NAR submitted
o   At RCC, your NAR will be submitted once you complete your financial aid file and are posted on our Chafee grant roster. 
o   To complete your financial aid file, return all required documents listed on MyPortal and Web Advisor under “required documents by year” on the financial aid section to the Student Financial Services office.
o   Beginning in the 2016-17 academic year, the Chafee Need Analysts Report will no longer be needed.
How do I know if I have been awarded a Chafee Grant?

Chafee grants are awarded based on a posted priority selection criteria matrix:
1.  **Paid renewal students who have not reached their 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year.
2.  New and ***non-paid renewal students who will be 25 years old as of July 1st of the award year.
3.  New and non-paid renewal students who have dependents.
4.  New and non-paid renewal students who have an unmet need of $5,000 or more.
5.  New and non-paid renewal students who have an unmet need of less than $5,000.
** Students who have received a Chafee payment.
*** Students who have not received a Chafee payment.
If you have been awarded the Chafee grant, you will receive an award notification each term, by email.  You can view your Chafee grant status and information online via Webgrants4students at
How do I receive my Chafee funds?
Eligible students are issued a paper check from CSAC to the school.  RCC will email you once your check has been received. You may pick up your check at the Cashier Window at the Bradshaw Center Building with a picture ID once you receive the email from our office.
Check your RCC email regularly to avoid delays in disbursement and for important information.

Chafee Grant Resources
Chafee Grant Contact Information
RCC Chafee Grant Coordinator:  Jana Gray,, 951-222-8713
California Student Aid Commission
ized Programs Operations Branch
California Chafee Grant Program
P.O. Box 419029
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9029
Telephone 888-224-7268
E-mail your questions to
(enter “Attn: Chafee” in the subject line)