The University of California system includes more than 209,000 students and more than 170,000 faculty and staff, with more than 1.4 million alumni living and working around the world.

UC's ten campuses at Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara provide exciting environments that foster world-class educational and research opportunities and generate a wide range of benefits and services that touch the lives of Californians every day. 

Major Preparation

To prepare for upper division study in a chosen major, a transfer student must first choose a major, then decide which campus or campuses he or she is most interested in attending.

Students can use ASSIST's Explori​ng Majors​ feature to find programs of study at all UC campuses and link to campus websites, where they'll find descriptions and coursework requirements for each major.

Students planning to attend or attending a community college can also use ASSIST to review transferable course information, investigating how community college coursework will apply when transferred to UC.

UC General Education Requirements for Upper-Division Transfers

To transfer to UC, students must prepare for upper-division study in their chosen major, and in most cases should complete the 2019- 2020 IGETC​ requirements and electives to earn a total of 60 UC transferable semester units or 90 quarter units with a GPA of at least 2.4 (2.8 for non-California residents).

IGETC Advisement:

Former UC, CSU and students with coursework from other four-year institutions, including outside the U.S., should consult with a counselor to determine whether they should complete IGETC or the lower-division breadth/general education requirements at the campus they plan to attend.


Students who initially enroll at a UC campus, then leave and attend a California Community College , and subsequently return to the same UC campus, are considered “re-admits” by the UC. Such students cannot use IGETC. However, students who enroll at a UC campus, then leave and attend a California Community College, and subsequently return to adifferent UC campus may use the IGETC pattern. The following UC campuses have further limitations:

Some colleges, schools and majors, typically science and engineering, within the UC system may not accept or recommend IGETC.  In some cases it may be better for a student to follow the UC campus-specific general education breadth pattern.  Consult with a counselor for more detailed information about your intended UC campus and major and whether IGETC is appropriate.

Please visit the University of California website for information on IGETC limitations and considerations: