California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption

AB 540 & AB 2000

Any student, other than one with a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) nonimmigrant visa status (see exception below for students who have been granted T or U visa status), who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the University of California, and the California State University (all public colleges and universities in California).

    • Requirements:
      • The student must have:
        • Attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years, OR
        • Attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school coursework and attended a combination of elementary, middle and/or high schools in California for a total of three or more years. AND
      • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam) AND
      • The student must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.
    • Students who are nonimmigrants who are victims of trafficking, domestic violence, and other serious crimes who have been granted T or U visa status, under Title 8 of the United States Code, section 1101(a)(15)(T) or (U) are eligible for this exemption.
    • Students who are nonimmigrants, other than those with T or U visa status as noted above, [for example, those who hold F (student) visas, B (visitor) visas, etc.] are not eligible for this exemption.
    • The student must file an exemption request including a signed affidavit with the college that indicates the student has met all applicable conditions described above. Student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required under law.
    • Students eligible for this exemption who are transferring to another California public college or university must submit a new request (and documentation if required) to each college under consideration.
    • Nonresident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of nonresident tuition, but they will not be classified as California residents. They continue to be “nonresidents”.
    • The California Dream Act extends Cal Grant A and B Entitlement awards, Cal Grant C awards, Chaffee grants, and institutional financial aid to students that meet these criteria as well as the applicable criteria for eligibility for specific types of financial aid. Refer to Student Financial Services' California Dream Act page for additional information.
    • AB540 does not provide federal student financial aid eligibility for undocumented students. These students remain ineligible for federal financial aid.
    • An exemption is not available for persons who are absent from California, but who are taking distance education classes.

Download and print the AB 540 & AB 2000 Non-Resident Waiver Form.​​


Kyla O’Connor, Dean, Enrollment Services: Kyla.O'Connor@rcc.edu​ or 951-222-8649

Lilia Acevedo, Educational Advisor, Counseling: Lilia.Acevedo@rcc.edu or 951-222-8167

Benjamin Vargas, Educational Advisor, La Casa: Benjamin.Vargas@rcc.edu or 951-328-3672