Started by N. O. Moore in 1921.
Four courses were offered: elementary, advanced composing, designing, and machine composing. Hot metal
type composed from a Linotype machine was the order of the day together with cold type assembled in a composing stick. He also taught an academic course about the history of printing. He wrote poetry for the students to compose in type. One of his poems commemorated the retirement of A. N. Wheelock.
Throughout the 1930s only auto mechanics, machine shop, mill cabinet, and printing were offered. During those years vocational instructors were not listed in the catalogs nor were their photos in the yearbooks with the exception of the printing instructor, N. O. Moore because of his academic course on the history of printing and his poetry.
In 1953 Richard Epp of Poly High School developed a one-year college course in vocational printing. Charles L. Walker joined the faculty in 1961 and promptly changed the name of the program to Graphic Arts and expanded the program to six courses including basic and advanced graphic arts, typography, and vocational, commercial, and newspaper printing.
During the 1960s more faculty and equipment were added and the curriculum was extensively revised. The 1970s brought more curriculum revision as technology advanced and in 1977 the name of the program was changed to Graphics Technology. During the 1970s evening courses were offered as "extended day" courses. The mid to late 1970s brought extensive additions to the curriculum. Courses were offered in cost estimating, design, photo composition, paste-up, silkscreening, press repair, and many more.
Further advances in technology resulted in a partnership with industry in the 1980s introducing the first Apple computers for instruction. An entire class shared four early Macintosh computers. By 1995, the first imagesetter (computer-to-film) was placed in the department and silkscreening was dropped from the curriculum. 1997 was the last year paste-up was taught and darkrooms were slowly phased out. The last darkroom was closed in June, 2004. In 2008, the department name was changed to Applied Digital Media & Printing. Presently the program supports three computer labs, and a highly productive and quality-oriented District Printing & Graphics Center and top-of-the-line equipment, including a Fuji computer-to-plate system, for student instruction.
Source: Riverside City College 1916-1981 A 65 Year History, by Gilbert Jimenez and Thomas Johnson. (Updates by Rich Finner).