Earn up to 4 transferable college credit units for the hours you work or volunteer...AND
- Explore career options
- Develop a career education plan
- Write strong resumes and cover letters
- Improve interview skills
Great option for students completing career internships!
The General Work Experience class uses the cooperative efforts of school and community to help you develop an occupational understanding through on-the-job experience and related instruction. Whether you work a paid job or complete volunteer work such as an internship, you can earn college credit and coordinate that work with your occupational and career goals. WKX 200 recognizes that learning experiences take place on the job as well as in a class and awards college credit for the knowledge and skills gained.
When you successfully complete this class, you'll be able to:
- Use a variety of resources to research careers and related educational requirements and industry trends.
- Develop a career and educational plan based on your interests, aptitudes, goals and personal circumstances.
- Develop resumes that effectively reflect your skills and experience.
- Write effective job-related communications such as cover letters and thank you notes.
- Complete the required number of paid or unpaid on-the-job work experience hours, maintaining an acceptable record of attendance, punctuality and performance.
Types of Work Experience Education
There are two types of Work Experience program options. Once you enroll in WKX 200, you will be given the opportunity to choose the type of work experience that's right for you and select the number of units (1 - 4 units) based on the number of hours you work on a paid or volunteer job.
1. General Work Experience - supervised employment that is not related to the occupational goal or college program in which you are enrolled. For example, a student who is majoring in accounting and currently working as a waiter will enroll in a General Work Experience option. Or, if you have not yet decided your major field of study and are currently taking general education classes only, you will enroll in a General Work Experience option. In a General Work Experience, a student has the opportunity to develop beneficial work habits and experience, but the job has no direct relationship to the student's chosen field of study. You may earn 3 units for the General Work Experience option.
2. Occupational Work Experience - supervised employment that is directly related to the occupational program of study in which you are enrolled (your declared major). For example, a student who has declared graphic arts as her major field of study and is working in a print shop may choose to enroll in the Occupational Work Experience option.You may earn up to 4 units in the Occupational Work Experience option.
Additional benefits if your paid or volunteer work is related to your declared major!
When you enroll in an Occupational Work Experience, your transcript will reflect that you have on-the-job experience in your major. For example, the transcript of an accounting student who has completed an occupational work experience in accounting will include the class ACC 200 - Accounting Work Experience (not WKX 200 - General Work Experience). That's a great way to show potential employers that you have on-the-job experience in your major. And in addition, some occupational programs include the WKX class as a required or elective course in the certificate pattern. Ask your instructor or department chair about the Work Experience class option in your major.
Although the class is flexible and meets the needs of a variety of students, you must meet the following requirements to be eligible for enrollment in the class:
- You must be employed in a paid or unpaid job during the semester.
- Students may earn up to a total of 16 semester credit hours, subject to the following limitations: In General Work Experience Education a maximum of six credit hours may be earned in any one enrollment period. In Occupational Work Experience a maximum of 8 credit hours may be earned in any one enrollment period.
Let your job earn college credits for you!
Enroll in WKX 200 - General Work Experience today.