Grant Funding Frequently Asked Questions

faq.jpgDownload a printable copy of the Grant Funding FAQ

Question: “I have an idea for a grant. Who do I talk to?”

Answer: The Resource Development Office is located on the Rancho Cucamonga campus in AD 109B. MaryAnn Doherty, Resource Development Specialist, can be reached via phone at 909-652-6469 or via email at

The first step in pursuing an idea for a grant is completing the Grant Idea Form and returning it to the Resource Development Office. The Grant Idea Form is intended for faculty or staff who wish to pursue grant funding for a project or event but who have not yet identified a funding source.

Question: “How do I find grant opportunities for my project?”

Answer: The Resource Development Office assists faculty and staff with identifying appropriate funding opportunities. Chaffey College has access to several websites and funding databases that post new funding opportunities as they are published. These sites include, which catalogs all federal opportunities, and SPIN by InfoEd Global, a searchable subscription database of funding opportunities from state, federal, private, corporate and other sponsors. The Resource Development Office and Foundation are available to assist you in exploring these and other resources to identify potential funding opportunities.

Question: “I heard about grant funding available for programs like mine. How do I pursue the opportunity?"

Answer: If you’ve already identified a potential funding source, you should complete Intent to Apply Form and submit it to the Resource Development Office. The Intent to Apply Form contains preliminary details about your project and the funding opportunity. The Resource Development Committee will review the form and make a recommendation to the Associate Superintendent of Business Services and Economic Development. A final decision from the Associate Superintendent on whether or not to pursue the grant opportunity will be provided to the Primary Contact within 10 business days.

Question: “How does a grant get develop? Do I write it myself?”

Answer: Writing a grant proposal is truly a team effort and involves cooperation from several key departments and personnel at Chaffey College. The Resource Development Office facilitates and coordinates these efforts by assembling a grant writing team comprised of faculty and staff involved with the project. The team will be responsible for providing direction in the development of the grant narrative and budget. Individual members may be assigned specific tasks such as researching costs for textbooks and supplies or writing small components of the grant narrative. College departments that will also contribute to the grant include Budgeting and Account Services, Human Resources, Instructional Technology Services and Institutional Research.

Question: “I’m not sure how to fill out the grant application. Who do I ask for help?”

Answer: The Resource Development Office will assist in the preparation of the grant application including completing all required forms, assembling any supplementary documents or appendices, collecting letters of commitment, obtaining final signatures required for the Authorization to Submit Form and actually submitting the application to the sponsor.

Question: “What information needs to be included in a grant application?”

Answer: Information will vary depending on the sponsoring agency and the specific grant application requirements. Working with the Resource Development Office is the best approach to ensure you are including all the appropriate and required information and documents with your grant application.

Question: “What offices at Chaffey are responsible for handling external funding requests (i.e. grants and contracts)?”

Answer: The Resource Development Office, Institutional Research, Community Education and Chaffey College Foundation offices work collaboratively to assist faculty, staff and administrators in the submission of grant proposals to secure extramural funding.

Question: “What is the difference between the Grants Offic and the Chaffey College Foundation?”

Answer: The most important difference is that the Foundation is a non-profit organization and retains a 501(c)(3) status with the Internal Revenue Service. Some grant sponsors limit grant applicants to non-profit organizations. In these cases, the Chaffey College Foundation submits the grant application on behalf of the college and provides the required supporting documents that establish our eligibility to the sponsor. The Resource Development Office works collaboratively with the Foundation in the development of these types of proposals.

Question: “How are decisions about grant applications made? Who decides which grants the college will submit?”

Answer: The Resource Development Committee (RDC), comprised of administrators, faculty and staff meet regularly to review upcoming opportunities. When a faculty, staff or administrator complete and submit an Intent to Apply Form, the RDC review the form and application instructions and evaluate the information based on a scoring rubric designed to address how closely the proposed project aligns to the college’s Strategic Vision and President’s Goals, campus/community need for the project, financial impact to the campus and our ability respond to the sponsor’s requirements. The RDC then makes a recommendation to the Associate Superintendent for Business Services and Economic Development on whether to pursue, pursue with reservations, table for further development or decline to pursue the grant opportunity. Primary Contacts will be notified of the Associate Superintendent’s decision within 10 business days. Opportunities that are tabled or declined to pursue may be appealed for reconsideration by the Executive Committee.

Question: “How is a grant actually submitted?”

Answer: The submission process will vary according to the sponsor’s requirements. Most grant applications today are submitted electronically via an Internet portal. For example, most federal grant applications must be submitted via the website. Other sponsors such as corporate or private foundations may have similar web portals for submission. Only authorized representatives from the Resource Resource Development Office and the Chaffey College Foundation have the authority to submit grant applications on behalf of the college.

Question: “Can individual faculty or staff submit a proposal independent of Chaffey College or the Foundation?”

Answer: No. All requests for extramural funding in the form of grant proposals and grant applications must be submitted through either the Chaffey College Resource Development Office or the Chaffey College Foundation if the funds will be received and managed by the College or Foundation. The Superintendent/President and the Governing Board may exercise their right to refuse funds awarded to the College or Foundation if proposals are not submitted through the College’s grant proposal process.