Cal Grants are offered by the state of California to students attending eligible California institutions of higher education. The Cal Grant program is administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Grants are funds that do not have to be repaid as long as you complete your courses successfully.
There are 3 main types of Cal Grant Awards: A, B and C
Cal Grant A
- Grant for tuition and fees at public (UC/CSU) or private colleges as well as some private career colleges in California.
- Award Amounts vary per year
- Grant typically covers up to 4 years of full time attendance.
- Student must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA and must meet income and asset guidelines (see Cal Grant forms page)
- Student cannot receive a Cal Grant A while at a California Community College, but may request that their award is held on reserve up to 2 years until they transfer.
Cal Grant B
Cal Grant C
- Grant for students from a disadvantaged or low income family. Awards can be used for tuition, fees or educational expenses.
- Awards are available for use at California Community Colleges as well as UC/CSU and private colleges
- Award Amounts vary per year, up to $1672.00
- Coursework must be for at least 1 academic year and students must be enrolled half time (6 or more units)
- Students must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA and meet income and asset guidelines (see Cal Grant forms page)
- Grant generally covers up to 4 years of full time attendance (2 years of that at a Community College)
- Grant for vocationally oriented students. Student must be enrolled at least half time (6 or more units) in a vocational program.
- Award amounts vary per year, up to $1094.00
- Generally covers up to 2 years of full time attendance, depending on the length of the program
- Cal Grant A and B eligibility is determined before Cal Grant C eligibility
- All eligible students must complete a Cal Grant C Supplemental form in the late spring to complete the application process for Cal Grant C. Students are notified via email from CSAC if this form is required.
What is the deadline to apply?
The deadline to apply for the upcoming academic year is March 2, 2017 for Fall/Spring 2017-18
Community College students may also apply for a secondary deadline each year of September 2nd. Awards on this deadline are limited so students should try to apply by the March 2nd deadline each year. Applications are available beginning October 1st for the upcoming fall term.
Apply by completing the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application
For more information on Cal Grant qualifications, how to apply, GPA verifications, disbursements, and more, please visit Cal Grant Frequently Asked Questions, below:
Cal Grant Frequently Asked Questions